1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E46 Handling

Discussion in 'E46' started by romeo_v12, Jul 19, 2005.

1. romeo_v12

romeo_v12 Club Guest

People,Was on my may to Chillis last night from PJ and took the Mid Valley route on S and was quite surprised that the car was sliding on the last bend(left) just before the ramp down to Jalan bangsar(near used car/temple). I believe I was doing circa 110kmph and the handling wasnt impressive.I think anyone one of us can easily lose it if we're not careful. I think the road was probably designed for 80kmph, and I noticed a puddle on the left lane. (Imagine hiting that and going over)So please be careful, esp when raining and after HH. Guess its time to take a serious look at my suspension set up.Any similar experience?Regards, :ph34r:

2. BMW9700

BMW9700 Club Guest

Romeo,

lots of similar experiences...after HH...........road designed for 60kmh, car designed for 80kmh, driver thinks...150kmh..........ha ha ha

3. c-square

c-square Club Guest

Ease up on the throttle a little, guys. Be safe :D

4. E46Fanatic

E46Fanatic Club Guest

What I find is that there is a false sense of speed when driving the E46. 80 km/h on the bimmer doesn't feel as fast in the inside (insulation??) compared to 80 km/h say on the Jazz... which I think could be the reasons many folks get caught out on the BMW.

Also never stinge on the tyres on the BMW, esp the rears. MOst people buang the car cos the tail steps out and they don't know what to do.... Get a nice set of sticky performance tyres which will likely reduce risks for you and your car if you drive briskly/ fast with the bimmer.

5. BMW9700

BMW9700 Club Guest

any recommendations sir? (17 inch)

6. E46Fanatic

E46Fanatic Club Guest

A lot of forummers are very happy with the Pirelli Dragons and I think its great value for performance tyre...

My fav is Michellin Pilot Sport 2 which I am running. I would also consider Conti Sport Contact 2 as a second option.

7. Lee36328

Lee36328 Club Guest

Good advice there, Romeo.

Just look at the skid marks on the roads and on the wall, and look at how many sections of the fence have been damaged or replaced...

8. zaki444

zaki444 Club Guest

I ply that route practically daily. Just watch it when it rains. Changed to from the original Bridgestone Turanzas to 17" Falken Azenis recently. marginal improvement but still twitchy occasionally. And the ultra light steering doesnt help really.

I get all the more jittery when wife drives to Bangsar. She just floors as soon as she exits Federal Hway into Mid Valley. And she says "Woo...tak payah brake!" And here I am...freaking out big time :angry:

9. three28

three28 Guest

Romeo ..

Thats a quite tricky bend at the end of the flyover . Tailed out couple times there during my bangsar HH sessions those days .

Good note there .

Verdict ...whatever suspension set up also..its always a nono on malaysian roads esp after a good HH session .

Drive safely guys :D

10. romeo_v12

romeo_v12 Club Guest

Appreciate the advice and comments dudes. Will take note.

Got about 15% left on my rear Pilot Sport, guess its time to put some new tyres on.

And Im sure a lot of you will agree that our UDMs are dangerous cars to drive after HH.

Cheers!

11. tkew

tkew Club Guest

Try yokohama neova, good performance but a bit pricy, or else get the TOYO T1 R or TOYO Vimmode, good performance and is one of the top tyre in US but unfortunately not so porpular in Malaysia.
    Check this out before u decide it will not let u down.

12. chester

chester Club Guest

Get PS2 tyres, very grippy.

13. romeo_v12

romeo_v12 Club Guest

Just realised my tyre preasure was mega low on 26 psi, have uped it to 30. That probably contributed to the slide at the curve. Whatz best preasure for 235/45/17?

M seriously thinking about the P Dragon's...have got quote for RM500 per piece. Is that the best price in town?

14. E46Fanatic

E46Fanatic Club Guest

Should be stated on your driver door. Its in bar, so you gotta multiply by ~14 to get psi for the pump. 30psi sounds a bit low. For 18" staggered its 34psi FR and 37 psi RR (rounded up). Thats what I use based on manufacturer specs. Gotta keep a lookout for pressure drops as well so I top up about once a month.

15. Redd

Redd Club Guest

doesnt the E46 have one of those newfangled traction control thingies to prevent just this sort of scenario from occuring? i was always under the impression that u couldnt screw things up too much in the modern bimmers with the TC on unless u really tried very hard to.

redd

16. OSFlanker

OSFlanker Club Guest

Be careful on those bends coz sometimes the tow truck operators put oil on them. Happened to Breakpopin a few years ago on the LDP (right hander flyover near Western Digital ) when his South African Tiger 316i lost control but he managed to catch the car back.

17. et5

et5 Club Guest

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    Amen!

18. flash

flash Club Guest

To a certain extent they help.... but then again, you cannot bend the natural laws of physics....

19. E46Fanatic

E46Fanatic Club Guest

Early model prefacelift E46 only came with ASC+T which is essentially traction control. DSC which applies brakes on individual wheels as well as throttle cutting is found on later models sold in Malaysia.

20. mini_jeff67

mini_jeff67 Club Guest

If driver think its 150, then driver wrong la - 60 + 80 = 140 only ma! :D