1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Adivise to purchase an E39

Discussion in '5 Series' started by Sathes, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Sathes

Sathes Club Guest

Hello everyone,Just joined this site today and I could really use some advise on E39's.To be honest let me first start off by saying that I own a 2000 alfa romeo 146 twinspark.Yes yes I know it does have it's problems but it was my first car i got after college and it's been my buddy for the past 5 years till I got married. The car is in real good shape but with the baby coming along and frequent lifts with the family.....the alfa doesn't fit the bil. The e46 scary cause I've heard a lot of rumours about electrics and stuff...expensive to maintain they say & I only started looking into the 5's after some good comments about it from a friend. More reliable he says!I don't know mate .....I know nothing about beemers and I couldn't think of a better place than here with the maestros.So I need some advise....this is what I'm looking for since I already know it has the looks, the space & it's german. Which one gives better fuel economy, what year from should I look for. What are the problems should I expect? Is maintaining one more expensive esp than my alfa cause that boy sucked me dry for the first 3 years. What should I look out for when looking at a second hand car dealer cause it's hard to find a honest dealer these days? Lastly why the 39 and not the 46? I'm open to all advise. I'd really appreciate it cause if all goes well this would be my first german experience! :stupid:

2. mizhan

mizhan Member

welcome sates.. yes, the 39 makes more sense to a family man than a 46. which 39? my advise is the later model 525i, ones with double vanos engine. good balance between performance and economy.. good luck.

3. initialM

initialM Official Member

First of all welcome to BMWCM forum. Try to intro in Newbies section.
    Then browse the E39 thread, u may get some info as it has been discussed many times. Your Q's are quite general. Not easy to answer in a thread or posting. Better to join TT & ask the E39 owner their experience. I myself did research & study in this forum for almost 6 months & on dial up access sumore.:love:

4. Jerman

Jerman Active Member

5. JoeYazid

JoeYazid Founding Member

Sathes,

Another Alfitis switching to BMW ...... welcome to the club bro.

If you could maintain an Alfa Romeo, BMW is 'piece of cake', less maintenance, headace, cheaper parts, more w/shop to repair BUT .... you will lost the sound and the feel...... hehehe ....... but .... 146 .... no big deal ....

Come to this Friday TT at El-Kenchana, Subang Jaya ..... you could ask more .....

6. ICEMAN 68

ICEMAN 68 Founding Member

bro firstly what's the budget of your purchase ?? i think without a budget it's difficult to determine the specific model..

the e39 selling range these days from 50K onwards to 110 K
    the e46 selling range these day from 60+ K onwards to 150K

therefore pls also determine your preference ... a true power plant OR nahhh a daily drive " cheap and easy " ..

7. dannybaba13

dannybaba13 Club Guest

welcome n gd luck tq

8. spenzer

spenzer Club Guest

Where is El-Kenchana, Subang Jaya? Can provide more detail? Thanks

9. champion

champion Club Guest

Plenty of link in this forum that can answer your queries. And like JYazid said, if you can maintain an Alfa, you surely can maintain a BMW. Happy Hunting.... :)

10. BMW_VCEC

BMW_VCEC Club Guest

So, how is the hunting? Managed to get one?

If not, can PM me. I know got one E39, 523I year 2001 for sales.
    :top:

11. MARK FOO

MARK FOO Club Guest

e39 523 2001

brother how much the owner want to sell the e39 523i 2001.tq

12. bazet

bazet Club Guest

just some tips

1. Mileage, lower is better, but higher with proper maintenance is much better
    2. CKD / CBU, your choice
    3. Turn on the engine,wait 1-2 minutes, try rev the car and listen any weird sound coming from underneath
    4. Check the rubber lining
    5. Ask for service record, if possible
    6. Make sure u have both keys ( spare )
    7. Try turn the steering, and if too heavy...something is wrong
    8. if possible ask the salesman drive u in the car....listen to sound made by the absorbers..when hitting uneven surface....and try to notice the gear change
    9. For newer model, the steptronic direction is following SMG version, hence upshifting is same like btcc race car :D
    10. For m sport, the door lining is blackened with very tiny chrome area ( not 100% blackened )

I just bought 2003 520i 2.2 and my 11 hours drive to Kelantan - Putrajaya is priceless...

13. hvb3025

hvb3025 Club Guest

can i have some photo of 523 as i am interested.. may be call me at 0165505750 as i will be in kkl these 2 day

14. pussy

pussy Club Guest

10 months old thread still asking for car ?

aiyo.. please read the dates...

15. kayzhen911

kayzhen911 Club Guest

whoa...
    looks like everyone is looking for an E39.
    in fact, my fren also wants one.
    any sellers pls pm me
    double vanos pls.

16. Amyang

Amyang Banned