1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Want to get a BMW for the 1st time

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BeemerWannabe, Jun 11, 2020.

1. BeemerWannabe

BeemerWannabe New Member

Dear Sifu & BMW Enthusiasts,

Currently, I'm owning a Honda Accord and wished to convert to a BMW.
    Been browsing the internet a few days now looking at F10 2013-2017 (up to 90k mileage), since the price range is right for me, and already few in mind that I want to test drive. Why 5 series? I have 3 kids and 3 series would be really cramped.

My only concern is the maintenance cost. Looking at this forum for instance, a 80k mileage car service can cost you RM3K (this is with faulty parts). I don't mind spending up to RM2k per service but if beyond that it will be trouble for me. Normally I will service my car once in 3 months (10k km) because I travel a lot. I would need a reliable car that won't break down on me.

I hope a 90k mileage car won't cause a lot of problems as I hope to use this car for 7 years ahead.

Appreciate your honest opinion if I should buy a BMW or not. Many thanks!

#1 BeemerWannabe, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Welcome to the forum bro.

To be honest, owning a BMW is not for the fain hearted. Some ownership journey is smooth sailing, with normal servicing and some wear n tear changes. This normally applies to those with BSRI still intact (up to 5 years). But for some unlucky few, its a headache with frequent breakdowns n parts change.

Normal servicing (engine oil change + filter) approx RM500-RM700, dependent on the engine oil u choose. Yeah if you had the chance to browse thru the forum, the numbers at times are a bit on the high side. So dont be alarmed, as with proper care, u'd b able to sort it out. I hv never had an experience with Accord before, but its probably there?

My suggestion is for u to find a car with BSRI still intact. A 2017 car would perhaps have another 2 years of BSRI to go, hence that is your safest bet. So if u do get one local unit with BSRI, do register urself as the new owner at the nearest Authorised Service Centre, so u can continue the BSRI on the car.

Also, upon reaching 100k km mileage, a lot of maintenance, wear n tear replacement need to be performed.

Good luck in ur quest bro!

BlackCat, Nazzurect and BeemerWannabe like this.
  3. BeemerWannabe

BeemerWannabe New Member

Hi bro gendong,

Thank you so much for the information!

After some due diligence based on your feedback and my research, I've decided to proceed in buying a 2015 520i F10. I hope the car can serve me well and I can finally get a taste of the Ultimate Driving Machine that everyone is preaching about. So, some paperwork to do now since I need to sell-off my current car.

Thanks again bro gendong!

4. enkil

enkil Official Member

Congrats! Enjoy

5. sixpotters

sixpotters Official member

welcome to the BMW world

6. BlackCat

BlackCat Founding Member
    Staff Member

All the best in your ownership! The forum is here if you have any questions. I’m sure there’ll be someone here who will be happy to guide you along...

7. F10 CREW

F10 CREW Clueless Newbie

If you travel a lot and you want a reliable unit, you cant go wrong with a well maintained BMW F10 520d. A LCI version with year 2014 and above will be best. All the best in your search. Please do not trust the mileage from the car dealers as these sometimes has been tampered.

8. pllegar26

pllegar26 New Member

Sorry ts need tumpang thread and also its my first time buying a bmw..

I'm looking at a 2012 F10 520i at rm95k (120k mileage) 1 year warranty by Tian Siang Auto or 528i m-sport rm105k (60k mileage) 1 year warranty by Smart Care...

the only thing holding me back it's the major parts replacement..

currently driving a 2017 1.8 civic . should i go for a 328i? will it cost less to maintain compare to the above?

please advise..

9. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Maintenance wise, be it the F10 or F30, it would be more or less the same. just that if ur 528i is a 6cyl, u pay more when it comes to engine oil. Suggest to enquire if both F10s have proper service records, so u may prioritize maintenance if required. the 528i is from a used car dealer? if it is, check if the actual mileage. both F10s are more than 6yrs, past BSRI. there will be maintenance attached to it. Tian Sian wld b a better bet, but do read up on their T&C for the warranty.

between F10 & F30, dependent on what u want. u travel long distance a lot? u need space? comes down to preference/budget. Suggest u get the newer one or those with BSRI still intact.

10. pllegar26

pllegar26 New Member

Thank you gendong for the advise.

Erm, 500km a week within Perak.. I will say I need more space, but probably it's just an excuse to get the f10 given the f30 cabin size it's more or less the same as the Civic .. 99% of the time the rear seat will have 2 child seat on it..

hmm...the newer ones would have exceeded the 100k mark....

I just wonder how much does it cost to replace most of the major tear & wear parts... and do you know any honest and reliable mechanic in Ipoh?

most people would just say it's expensive to maintain because it's a conti car and this is the only thing holding me back.... is 4k to 5k a year suffice? I know the tyres it's on run flat maybe will change it to the normal one to save on that...

11. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

In that case, ur kids wld love with F10 with the space. My 3 kids hv no complaints at the back too. Also, not to mention the boot space is larger. Just nice a cruiser, as a daily drive.

To give u some ideas on the repair cost, refer to this http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/index.php?threads/f10-parts-service-cost.40840/ thread. For reliable mechanics in Ipoh, i think there are a few. Do check the thread to see the workshop they frequent to. When it comes to maintenance, upon purchase, do spare approx 10% of purchase price to change all fluid n oil (engine oil, tranny oil, diff oil, brake fluid, coolant etc), assuming u do not have the full service records. If you get a unit that is well taken care of, it a case of buy n drive. Expensive is subjective. per oil change is approx RM400 - RM800... dependent on ur engine capacity (but i think earlier 3000cc engine are using approx 6.5lit of engine oil. u'd b surprised that some parts are cheaper relatively to newer Japanese cars. 4-5k a year is suffice, provided u plan out ur maintenance program. dont worry abt those RFTs. runs well on normal too....

good luck in ur hunt!

12. pllegar26

pllegar26 New Member

Thank you gedong. will go through the thread first..

13. bonnieshona

bonnieshona New Member

BMW dealer servicing and maintenance can be expensive and as you're looking at a 4 year old car I wouldn't recommend taking it anywhere else. I'd contact a few BMW dealers to get an idea of prices for servicing.

I'd make sure you buy the car from a BMW garage so that it comes with a good warranty. That way if anything does go wrong you aren't going to be stuck with a big bill.

Don't be tempted to buy a cheap car without a proper service history and check which service is due next. Every fourth service is the big one (inspection2) which will be expensive. If you buy from a BMW dealer and the next service due is the Inspection2 then get them to do the service as part of the deal.

Fuel economy should be OK, so even if you have to use premium gas it should be a major concern.

Good luck, I wish my first car had been a BMW!

#13 bonnieshona, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  14. seelianglim

seelianglim New Member

my most expensive thing to replace was the battery...Wahliao thousands of ringgit...But the original battery lasted 7.5 yrs!!!

15. bonnieshona

bonnieshona New Member

BMW dealer servicing and maintenance can be expensive and as you're looking at a 4 year old car I wouldn't recommend taking it anywhere else. I'd contact a few BMW dealers to get an idea of prices for servicing.
    I'd make sure you buy the car from a BMW garage so that it comes with a good warranty. That way if anything does go wrong you aren't going to be stuck with a big bill.
    Don't be tempted to buy a cheap car without a proper service history and check which service is due next. Every fourth service is the big one (inspection2) which will be expensive. If you buy from a BMW dealer and the next service due is the Inspection2 then get them to do the service as part of the deal.
    Fuel economy should be OK, so even if you have to use premium gas it should be a major concern.

Good luck, I wish my first car had been a BMW!

#15 bonnieshona, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  16. headf36

headf36 Club Guest

good choice bro

17. cyclebin10

cyclebin10 Club Guest

wow..1st car already aim for BMW..kudos bro
    normally if brand new..they will have free maintenance etc in the package but
    may be different from dealer to dealer so rajin sikit to do your research ok..
    for me..can only be my dream for now since this year so teruk and out of job now
    so if i can drive it for 1 week either BMW M or BMW i models...cukup la for me..
    aiming for better year next year...

18. milobing80

milobing80 Club Guest

well you are in luck la ...
    BMW Malaysia is doing a giveaways...you can drive your dream car for free..
    beside than this also got other great prizes la for 10 days!! meaning more chance to win la..
    just check out their FB page for more details
    maybe this year be as sweet as your BMW M series hahahaha...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
    https://www.facebook.com/BMW.Malaysia/

19. Mleong

Mleong New Member

i just got my 07 E60 525. As long as you replace it with ori parts and keeps your maintenance up to date, you should not have much problems.

gendong likes this.
  20. TyraNoah

TyraNoah New Member

Someone said that owning a BMW is not for the fain hearted and I couldn't agree more.
    But at the end of the day, it's really worth the troubles.

minotaurfightstore | minotaurfightstore

#20 TyraNoah, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021