1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

F30 N55 engine maintenance

Discussion in 'F30, F34' started by Freakystein, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Freakystein

Freakystein New Member

Hi guys, i'm looking to purchase a F30 with N55 engine, would like to check to see on the maintenance cost of the car? Is it much higher compared to the 320i or 328i?

Seldom see any post on this model as i believe is pretty rare in the market.

1 of the cars i've seen have this issue, would like is it expensive to repair:
    1) Gasket leaking - i've notice this as a primary issue in the n55, is it expensive to repair?
    2) Aircon blower weird sound at high fan speed
    3) Overall general maintenance - Oil & fluid change? any estimated cost?

2. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

yes, relatively its higher maintenance as its an inline-6 compared to 4-cyl (approx 20-30% extra).

my feedback is based on the N55 engine, although mine is an F10 with the engine.
    1. gasket leaking? not a primary issue. my 9 year old ride does not have this issue. so far, minor leak fm the flywheel gasket (just recently, hvnt had the time to change it yet). cheap part, but labour intensive.
    2. not related to the engine. perhaps an issue with the thermostat.
    3. for inline 6, expect to spend approx RM400-600 for an oil change (using more oil maaa...), depending on the brand of engine oil u use. AFT approx rm700-1000 (also depending on the quantity u use)

Look up for my post in the F10 maintenance section for an idea of the cost.

3. Freakystein

Freakystein New Member

Hi Gendong,

Thanks for sharing. Regarding the blower sound, the sound is coming from the car's aircon blower itself, during low to mid fan speed is fine. But when i churn all the way up to high speed, there is like flapping sound. So i'm a bit puzzled as to what is causing that.

Anyway best is to get it to a mech to have it thoroughly check for the whole car as engine leaking could be minor or could be serious.

Any recommended workshop in klang valley? I found out that BG werks seems like a good option.

4. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

For the aircond, there might be a loose flap in the system. Might want to ask if the aircond blower was repaired/serviced before. Improper installation might be the cause. if not, perhaps a case of wear n tear.

Yes correct. Find a mechanic that u can trust and knows what he's doing. yes BG is an option. Suggest u to call ahead for ur pre-purchase inspection.

5. Freakystein

Freakystein New Member

Got it. Thanks.

6. pc8800

pc8800 Club Guest

I can confirm this, just changed the flywheel oil seal on my N55, the labor for it is over 5 times the cost of the part. The transmission had to be removed.

gendong likes this.
  7. Freakystein

Freakystein New Member

Guess that the price for going 6 cylinder. Haha...

8. Freakystein

Freakystein New Member

Btw, would like to know anyone running on 20 inch wheels for the f30 3 series ? Would like to know what tyre pressure are you guys running on? I saw my door cards mention F 280 kpa R 300 for normal load and F 300 R 350 under full load. I feel is on the high side, should I use a lower tyre pressure?