1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Run Flat to Non Run Flat tyres experience

Discussion in 'Chassis and Wheels Tech' started by RK68, Aug 23, 2019.

1. RK68

RK68 New Member

Dear Friends,

It's time to change the tires of my 2017, 320i Sports Line (size 255/r50 17). My car came with factory fitted Bridgestone Potenza s0001 Run Flat. It has given me a mileage of about 27,000km with regular balancing, alignment and tyre rotation at about 4,000km interval. I am not sure if this is a decent mileage or not for RFT.

Anyway, I am not so gung-ho with these RFT. I am thinking of replacing the RFT to normal tyres. Minus the risks of running a flat tyre without a spare tyre in the booth in case of a puncture with a Non- RFT fitted. most of the tyre shop sifus are telling that the car will not be stable to run on a Non-RFT.

I would like to get feedback from you guys out there if you have had experience in replacing the RFT to Non-RFT in BMW's. How was or is your experience?

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks .

Cheers,
    Kem

2. kama

kama Club Guest

Hi Kem, change pirelli rft to michelin non rft on my e90 and obvious transformation is more silent and comfortable ride. Rft tire seems to deteriorate after chalking up considerable mileage, its become harsh and noisy. I do carry spare tire but never being used since u can find tire shop everywhere.

But iā€™m fine with factory fitted bridgestone rft on my f30, since f30 has more comfortable ride set up compare to e90. Mileage is still low though.

3. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Stark difference. Much more comfortable ride, and much quieter. Also friendlier in the pocket. Much more choice of tires

4. RK68

RK68 New Member

Thanks, guys for the feedback. I do agree with Kama as there are tyre shops in most of the places. Even with a RFT, if the puncture/damage is serious enough the tyre will give away and the car have to be towed anyway. What I am thinking of is to get one of the decent portable tyre inflator, tyre fixing kits & a jack as an emergency backup in the booth.

5. NumberTWO

NumberTWO Club Guest

did you finally buy a tyre inflator? If yes, which one did you get? Tks

6. kama

kama Club Guest

U could opt for that slim tubeless spare tire, can easily be found in mudah.my or other tire shops.. quite cheap too

NumberTWO likes this.
  7. RK68

RK68 New Member

Hi. I have been searching in websites for some decent tyre inflators. There are many types sold in Lazada etc. Some are branded eg Michelin or Toyota etc. I have doubt whether these are really genuine. A lot of the inflators there does not receive good reviews from buyers. Amazon does have brands with some good reviews. I do find Goodyear branded inflators with quite a number of models being sold in overseas markets. So, in short, I have not found the right inflator yet that I dare to invest now.

I also did some surveys on the trend of the current tyre prices. So far I found the price difference has narrowed between a non-RFT tyre and RFT in recent times. Eg: a Michellin Pilot Sport 4 (non-RFT) cost about RM500+. Whereas Bridgestone Potenza s001 RFT I am able to get at RM600. Pirelli P7 (non-RFT) is pricier about RM700. There are some cheaper choices with lower-spec tyres or cheaper brands. In short RFT and Non-RFT prices are narrowing. The choices are also more. Of course, the main shortcoming for RFT is its shorter life span and a rougher ride. Thus a costlier tyre replacement cost in the long run.

Kama, you mentioned can get the slim spare tire. How to identify the rims that will match the car? I have no idea about this.

I am still narrowing down the choices. I am still trying to move away from RFT to experience the differences.

Cheers.

8. kama

kama Club Guest

I bought my space saver slim tire from my mechanic, size is 135/80 with 17ā€ rim pcd 120, and comes with the tool. If not mistaken i paid around rm 500 for the set.
    As an alternative u could also buy second hand tire with the same rim on your car, but it will take up more space.

9. RK68

RK68 New Member

Hi,
    I got my new tyres. It's an RFT. Back to my Bridgestone Potenza S001.;) Got it @RM600/pc. This has been the cheapest price I could get for a Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT.

I was pondering to move away from RFT to non-RFT as the thread in this forum will show. I shopped around for non-RFT to find the best deal I can get.

Most of the high performace/sports standard tyres are not cheap anyway. I found they are in the range of RM450+ to anywhere about RM700 or more. The most decent & cheapest of the non-RFT Performance class tyres I got was Michellin Pilot Sport 4 @ RM485 @ Oscar Tyre. But then without a spare tyre in the booth, I need to invest in a couple of few things for emergency backup purposes which eventually will cost at least about RM300-400.

So looking at the overall costs in total, it is not really cheaper to have a non-RFT as a solution. There are pros and cons in either choice. At
    RM600/pc for a decent RFT it can't really be that wrong.

Thanks, guys for the feedback.
    Cheers.

Jim Huay likes this.
  10. Jim Huay

Jim Huay New Member

Bro, mind to share the shop u changed ur tyre?

11. RK68

RK68 New Member

Hi,
    been away for a while. The shop is in ss15 subang jaya next to public bank. its a corner lot tyre shop. they have few outlets around KL, one in taman desa also. I cant remember the shop name. you cant miss it. next to the lrt line.

12. leeky

leeky New Member

mind to share where u bought your space saver slim tire? i want to get 1

13. Khoidir

Khoidir New Member

IS IT CORRECT FOR TYRE SIZE F30 IS DIFFERENT FRONT AND REAR?

Anyone know about this?

14. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Depends bro. If im not mistaken, Luxury spec cars has square setup i.e. all tyre same sizes (e.g. 225/45/17). M-sport units have a staggered setup i.e front 225/40/18, rear 255/35/18. Since BMWs are rear wheel drive cars, so yes it is possible to get the best driving experience thru a staggered setup.

15. Khoidir

Khoidir New Member

Thanks