1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW 530i year 2008

Discussion in 'E60, E61' started by murup7, Aug 18, 2016.

1. murup7

murup7 New Member

Hi there, Im here to get some opinion from the masters about Bimmer mentioned in title. i wish to get one of those very soon. Mainly i need to know about the :

1) Maintenance
    2) What are the usual problems for this model
    3) Best and affordable workshop with genuin parts in Ipoh area
    4) How about the transmission (gearbox) system durability (life span)
    5) And many many more of your knowledge and experience
    6) Conclusion whether this will be a wise and better choice of my life time
    7) If one of you have the model with super condition to let go i might consider, thank you

I heard from foreman claiming that BMW famous with oil leaking from all over the hoses connection and gasket--> Please share your knowledge about this statement

1000 thanks in advance for the upcoming advice. Thank you

Muru

2. Herbert

Herbert Well-Known Member

I own a E60 530i and would be glad to share my experience & thoughts with regards to your questionnaires.

BMW E60 530i 2008 - two type of engines available i.e. the N52 and N53 (direct fuel injection). N52 bought in by BMW Malaysia and used for E60 520i, 525i and 530i. The N53 though is a more powerful, it wasn't brought in as the fuel injector is sensitive to local fuel. Even in Europe, there were lots of related complaints on N53. Some of our members had rather bad experiences with their 530i N53. There isn't any solutions to rectify the clogging of fuel injector and each injector cost RM2k plus and you need to replace 6 injectors. So a word of extreme cautious here......walk away if the E60 is with N53 engine. Do a goggle search on N52 & N53 (problems) engines.

Prior to confirming to purchase the car, it would be good to send the car to any BMW authorised dealer/workshop and have them do a complete mechanical & diagnostic test (for RM180.00 only) and the necessary parts to be replaced.

1. Maintenance

Unless you have the previous service & maintenance records, put aside RM 10k to15k for replacement of worn and/or degraded parts (suspension system, water cooling system, auto transmission gear system). General service i.e. replacement of lube oil & filter is approx RM 550.00.(every 10k km for full synthetic lube)

2. What are the usual problems for this model

N52 magnesium engine tend to consume small amount of lube oil for every 1,000 km and that is norm according to BMW. There isn't any dip stick to check for lube level and any shortage of lube level would be display from the iDrive screen. The electric water pump tend to develop leak at 80k to 100k km. The other usual problems (I won't refer them as problems but the usual wear & tear) are the absorbers, front & rear upper & lower arms, brake disc rotors, fuel pump, throttle body and top cylinder cover which houses the intake ventilation system.

3, Best and affordable workshop with genuine parts in Ipoh area

Can't comment as I am not from Ipoh. However, we do have a number of members from Ipoh and guess they may response with their recommendations.

4. How about the transmission (gearbox) system durability (life span)

Auto gearbox is 6 speed (code ZF6HP19) from ZF of Germany. This particular auto gearbox is also used for E60 and E90 (with the exception of M5 & M3). The main complaint of ZF6HP19 is the infamous "gear slam" (goggle for details) and slight to medium jerk when slowing down. This problem is caused by degraded/worn out mechatronics solenoids. I had this infamous gear slam when my mileage was only 58k km. Solution to this is replacement of 7 pieces solenoid, 7 litres of ZF ATF oil, AFT oil pan cum filter and labor charges which should be no more than RM3K.

Other than the above, ZF6HP19 is a reliable auto gearbox and recommended to replace the AFT fluid & filter every 50k km.

4. I heard from foreman claiming that BMW famous with oil leaking from all over the hoses connection and gasket-

The foreman could be referring to the older models i.e. E39 (5 series), E46 & E90 (3 series). He is right as the leaks are from the high pressure power steering hoses (E39) and the valve seals (E46 & E90 320i). BMW has rectified these issues for the E60.

5. Conclusion whether this will be a wise and better choice of my life time

A wise or better choice is always very subjective and only you yourself will be the best to make this call. E60 530i is a powerful car and the famous BMW straight 6 cylinders is smooth & stable cruising at 180 km and above. .

Jhuan, UnoS, d4ngerz0ne and 2 others like this.
  3. murup7

murup7 New Member

Thank you very much for your time and this detailed explanation. I will take this credentials from you to evaluate by my self. thank you again

4. murup7

murup7 New Member

Anyone wanted to let go an E60 with superb condition... Do let me know... Thank you

5. harry_7

harry_7 Club Guest

me...:) :listen:

6. murup7

murup7 New Member

hah hah... got one please email the details to murup7@gmail.com

7. murup7

murup7 New Member

Dear masters as i googled on how to identify N52 and N53 mostly the pictures showing N52 with magnesium colour and N53 with black colour.
    is it the only method to describe both engines or there are other identical differences ?

Thank you

8. aoch88

aoch88 Club Guest

Check the VIN number, most accurate.

9. murup7

murup7 New Member

Alright thanks you very much

10. masrila5

masrila5 Club Guest

Hello,

I also been using 2008 E60 530i for almost a year. The car was CKD unit with N52 engine. To differentiate N52 and N53 you have to decode the VIN for accurate info. For LCI version both N52 and N53 have 272hp.

If no maintenance history available, it is advisable to change all the water hoses and water pump as it is known to fail when reaching 100k km. As for me, I only change the leaky one but carry the spare pump onboard. Belum ada masa pergi workshop.

Pls also check front absorber mounting as I experienced the whole suspension assembly fall down during normal servicing. Somehow the absorber mounting do not have failsafe to arrest the fall when the rubber failed.

Other than that, only normal servicing was carried out. No other major problem encountered. Oh yeah, check also the brake pad and disc as previous owner might drive the car fast and brake hard. Otherwise why he needs a 3 litre saloon?

tq

11. murup7

murup7 New Member

Hi Masrila5 thank you very much for the explanation... still looking for either 530i or 525i...

12. harry_7

harry_7 Club Guest

Sent you email received?? :listen:

13. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Changed his mind already kot?

14. leftseat

leftseat New Member

Thank you Herbert for the very informative write up.

I wished I had visited this site before buying my 2008 525I E60 at the used car dealer. There are so much information to read and learn.

Now I can only hope I did not get a lemon and just enjoy the pleasures of the ultimate driving machine.

Jhuan likes this.
  15. aoch88

aoch88 Club Guest

Hope your car is running great. Do share your experiences and welcome to the BMW club :D

16. ray27

ray27 Member

Good day bros,
    Which workshop in KL or Melaka would be best for me to send a 2006 530i for inspection? I am planning to look at 1 vehicle soon. Its an N52 magnesium engine.

17. Eiffel

Eiffel Member

Hi bro, u may try PKL Motorsport or Wearnes Autohause Services=)

18. ray27

ray27 Member

Thanks bro. After looking at the state of the car, I decided not to go for it.

19. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

care to share what was ur finding abt the unit bro?

20. ray27

ray27 Member

Hi bro. Car was very juddery and the interior was not well maintained. It was a put off.
    So decided against it.