1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

F10 Third Party Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'F10, F11, F07' started by kwwong99, Jun 1, 2020.

1. kwwong99

kwwong99 Club Guest

Dear All,

Have you tried any 3rd party warranty for your out of warranty bimmer? I heard some in the market, namely, MyOpal and GMR - any good?

Thanks and cheers!

2. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

I used to subscribe to Warranty Smart for 2 years when i bought by F10, used. I strongly suggest u to subscribe to any of these services. Also, the official panel workshop that is a member of the program plays an important role too when it comes to warranty claims.

3. kwwong99

kwwong99 Club Guest

Thanks for your reply, Gendong.

Can we still sign one or two years warranty with any BMW service center for out-of-warranty car? I reckon it may be better to sign with BMW service center, unless they don't allow for whatever reason.

4. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

If I'm not mistaken, if you buy your car brand new from these authorized BMW SC, once your BSRI/warranty nearing its end, they used to offer an extension to the BSRI/warranty for another year or 2. Im not sure if its still applicable now. Might want to check with your SA.

For used/recon, while they will accept your car to be serviced there (with a registration fee applied of course), dont think they will extend the warranty to you. But you will receive technical updates/recall/promos as and when they happen.

If you are buying a used car, with BSRI still intact (maybe a year or a few months left), suggest u to register ur name as the new owner of the car at an authorized SC, and perhaps be able to extend BSRI/warranty (i dont know if its possible, but can try).

5. Bizzy

Bizzy New Member

Hi, I have an F10 and thinking between GMR and Warranty Smart warranty package... mine is low mileage 2015 (used) below 90K mileage... can you highlight the most probable part that will fail at this stage.... is fuel pump a concern for F10 or sensors...

6. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

At approx 90k-100k mileage, parts that needs to be looked at is the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP), sensors, transmission (jerking, not smooth etc), water pump, alternator. This varies depending on how the car was used and serviced.

For these warranty providers, it will very much depend on the package that you subscribe to. These packages start from basic packages, to more comprehensive ones (Silver, Gold, Platinum etc.). The more you pay, the more comprehensive coverage you get. Most of the stuff in the basic package rarely fail at that mileage.

In my case, i subscribed to 2 years of warranty. 1st year no issue. 2nd year, i claimed for HPFP (unsuccessful as it was not covered under the package) and ECU (successfully claimed. Got a brand new replacement from the warranty provider).

Please be aware, that replacement for parts claimed, will always start with (in this order). This is based on my conversation with the authorized workshop by these warranty providers:
    1. repairing the part, if fail, only then
    2. used part, most of the time from chop shops, direct plug n play. if fail, then
    3. reconditioned part. part that has been refurbished to make it look new. if still fail, only then
    4. brand new part.

Do study the packages available, and tailor it to suit you requirement.

7. Rick1

Rick1 Active Member

Just to add something from my experience. If you are thinking about F10 warranty, make sure 100% that the ECU is covered. These are a well know weak point on these cars and can be expensive to replace, the only realistic option is for a repair if you are paying for it yourself, new units are around RM 7,000 + programming.

8. Bizzy

Bizzy New Member

Many thanks guys...luckily the one I chose have the ECU, TCM.......... but not the HPFP
    ...its an eye opener for me that they will resort to used/recond parts as replacements

What about the Turbocharger... any tips on its maintenance

#8 Bizzy, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  9. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Depends on the package you sign-up for, it is covered under these warranty providers.
    How to maintain? Some have the luck of the turbos not failing, while some, the opposite. Rattling is normal. My guess is to have it serviced on a periodic basis. My ride is already 160k km, yet to service it.

10. Bizzy

Bizzy New Member

160km and still good...wow... ! I'm comparing to my bad experience from my previous 5008....