1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

F10 hunting, recommended spec?

Discussion in 'F10, F11, F07' started by Willie Ho, Jan 27, 2019.

?

Which model is more recommended?

1. 523i (2.5)

5.4%
  2. 520d (2.0)

18.9%
  3. 520i (2.0)

8.1%
  4. 528i (2.0)

56.8%
  5. others, please recommend

2.7%
  6. 528i (3.0)

5.4%
  7. 535i (3.0)

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Willie Ho

Willie Ho New Member

Hi F10 owners, early this year, out of nowhere & out of no reason, a wild thought just pop up in my mind, "get a BMW, YOLO" XD... At first my shortlisted models are E90, E60, F30 & F10. After viewing those cars in person, I've concluded that F10 would be "the one"...

Question, there're many specs available for F10, which spec is more recommended? And why? Should stick to local only or recon also recommended? My budget is within 150k.

Here are my thoughts, correct me if I were wrong:

523i local (2.5L non-turbo L6):
    sweet 6 cylinder sound, may be less problematic as non-turbocharged, price is low;
    but no pedal shifter, probably has higher fuel consumption, torque output doesn't looks convincing, very old model.

520d local:
    very high torque output, heard that it's the least problematic model, fuel saving;
    but no pedal shifter, petrol station with Euro 5 diesel is too far away from my place.

520i local:
    higher torque output than 523i, LCI version is still within my budget and having goodies that i need;
    I'm skeptic on the turbo.

528i local:
    good performance, non-LCI version already having most goodies that i need;
    I'm skeptic on the turbo, previous owner may had "fully enjoyed" it.

Currently I'm driving a Peugeot 408 1.6 Turbo, I'm somehow more leaning towards a non-turbocharged F10, which is 523i; but at the same time, LCI 520i looks very appealing to me, just the turbo...

Suggestions/recommendations/corrections or offers are welcomed, thanks.

2. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Hello bro,

looks like u have done ur research. Best, and if possible, find a unit from a direct owner, at least u can be assured of what has been done or needs to be looked into. With dealers, u need to take everything in with a pinch of salt.

based on ur 'selection'.... well.... either a diesel or a 6cyl wld probably give u happiness. again, as the drill goes, how is ur usage of the car? stuck in jams? long distance travelling? light foot vs heavy foot? a diesel gives u better mileage. 800km per full tank town driving is marvelous.

Since the prospective ride are 2nd hand in nature, set aside approx 10% fm the purchase price for repairs. Ask the seller/dealer/owner to repair those that are visible pre-delivery, or minus it off the purchase price.

all the best in deciding bro!

3. hayata

hayata New Member

I own 523i Japan Spec. I voted 528i because I really wish I had that additional power when needed. Plus 528i come with more goodies.

Also, all your options is local, why not japan? Most of them are better specced too compared to local.

Jim Musa likes this.
  4. madrazcbr

madrazcbr Club Guest

2016 520d msport version has paddle shifter msport seat skirting rim ... but no harmon kardon...
    but it will be at around rm180k ... and yes the newer B series engine with 400nm torque .. only 50 was made and not easy to come by ..

5. Willie Ho

Willie Ho New Member

thanks for the advice, I'll be using the F10 as a weekend car or for traveling long distance, swapping around with my Peugeot 408, as for my driving style, i'm always a gentle pedal guy, but when mood kicks in, i'll be driving a little aggressively

6. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

weekend car/long distance? hmmm sounds like an oilburner........ imagine having to refuel once every month, compared to ur Pug...... hahahahaha

Aminyusoff likes this.
  7. gimli

gimli Club Guest

how about the 528i 3.0? Roadtax is higher but the price is similar to that of the 523i. If budget permits, try getting the 528i 3.0 M-Sport.

BTW I don't think the n20 is unreliable, since the car is getting common, price of parts is also dropping.

8. koolcool

koolcool New Member

hah, like u, i have the same shit in my head now.

however, im into E90 320d or the newer 320d. 5 series to bulky for me (and my wife lol).
    trying to buy something straight from the owner however based on my look around at mudah, direct owner tends to mod it too much (re-map etc).

im not a fan of re-map considering the diesel engine have plenty of torque at low revvv

my only concern is the timing chain on the 320d series engine. is it still prevalent or consider solved for model year 2011 to 2012 (e90) and 2013 for F30.. ?

9. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

I believe the issue had been settled and improvements made on subsequent productions of the said part. There's a diesel up for sale in the classified section.

all the best in ur quest!

10. Willie Ho

Willie Ho New Member

Just realise Japan spec having both 2.5 and 2.0 turbo, is yours 2.5 or 2.0 turbo?

Japan spec 523i 2.5 m-sport is kinda appealing to me, however I'm wondering is it using N52 or N53?

11. Willie Ho

Willie Ho New Member

I just realise earlier batch 528i is 3.0, yes, a 528i 3.0 m-sport should be taken into consideration too

I'm still considering among all specs, knowing that N20 is widely used in F30 & F10, it just that my current car is turbocharged, thinking of trying something different

12. Willie Ho

Willie Ho New Member

My Pug is giving me excellent fuel consumption when it's new, but now... :confused: not sure if it's the carbon build up at the intake valve, or the turbo...

I've view a few 520d, take some time to convince myself to accept the diesel clattering, vibration, smell, it reminds me of my Isuzu D-max, but once sitting inside the car & close the door, it's ok...

13. F10 CREW

F10 CREW Clueless Newbie

Come.... make me an offer i can't refuse for my 2014 520d LCI with :
    1. M5 Steering complete with paddle shifters. Old M Sport steering will be given with purchase.
    2. Android head unit. Old i-Drive screen to be given with purchase.
    3. H&R Spring. Original springs will be given as well.
    4. 19 inch 351M rims.
    5. Pedal box available.
    6. Paint coated by Ceramic Pro ceramic coating.
    7. Front & Rear camera has been added to avoid accidental bumps.
    8. M5 Spoiler included.
    9. BMW Advance Eye DVR recorder.
    10. Everything else original as it can be.

As standard on LCI models, the adaptive LED headlights, Digital Speedometer etc.

An offer i can't refuse!! hahahaha!

ray27 and tenno like this.
  14. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Pictures bro.... Pictures!!!

15. tenno

tenno Club Guest

gegege...

16. Willie Ho

Willie Ho New Member

that's a lot of goodies come along.. not sure if it's within my budget.. PMed you..

17. kok39702

kok39702 Club Guest

Gonna sell my beloved F10 535i M Sport..........

18. Bimmerlyk

Bimmerlyk New Member

You better off get a 528i if F10 you are after. Diesel is ok for torque but for 2.0cc I don’t think you enjoy the ride especially acceleration. Unless u remap the car and make it smoke.

19. exodus

exodus Club Guest

Interested bro. Can PM please with whatsapp number?

20. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

PM or massage him bro. He’ll receive a notification