1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

F10 (2013) Rear Brake Actuator Replacement - Haiyoo so expensive!!

Discussion in 'F10, F11, F07' started by Nor Shaharom Mansor, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nor Shaharom Mansor

Nor Shaharom Mansor Club Guest

Guys. I sent the car to the Authorized Service Centre for a battery replacement ( after 5 years 6 months - which is not bad ). Battery is replaced but the mechanic said the both rear brake actuators ( hand brake equivalent) must be replaced and would cost RM 4,300. Failing to replace would potentially cause the brake to lock and cant be released from parking position. 3 questions:-

1) Mechanic said replacement after 5 years is expected with some cars it happened much earlier. Is this true?

2) RM 4,300 reflects market price?

3) Can I engage outside workshop hoping it would cheaper and yet reliable??

Pls comment guys. Thank You

2. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

1) The suggestion made by the mechanic is preventive in nature. Yes there have been a lot of actuators malfunctioning at times when u dont need them to. 5 years is 'lifetime' for BMW. As a preventive maintenance, yes you may change at own cost. If not, you can still drive, until it actually fails, which by then u wont know when. could be tmrw, next month, next couple of years..... or it never will.... your call.

2) RM4,300 is SC price, and i hope its for 2 units. Outside, even from Bavarian Auto shld cost u approx RM1k++/piece (u need 2 - left n right actuators), excluding labour.

3) Yes you may and point no 2 shows its gonna be wayyyy cheaper. Do remember these workshops also cari makan, so there would be some mark-up over the part, but still way cheaper from SC. Choose your mech wisely, also based on ur convenience.

Do share your experience bro.

3. F10 CREW

F10 CREW Clueless Newbie

4. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

5. F10 CREW

F10 CREW Clueless Newbie

Bro Gendong,

Just to validate.... a friend bought it and install in his F10, works great. However, please check if the above is the right model for you. Because its tested and fit to a F10 520d. Others not sure unless they are the same part number.

6. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Should be the same part number i think across F10s. but havent checked realoem yet.

update: yes it the same part number. cross-ref it between a 2010 535 & a 2014 520d. Part#34216794618

#6 gendong, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  7. Nor Shaharom Mansor

Dear Bro Gendong and F10 Crew, apologizes for the late response. Many thanks for the feedback. I have not replaced the ,waiting until the car tells me to.... which the reminder finally popped on the screen last night... so it is time. I always sceptical to on line purchase any critical mechanical parts, anyway thanks for the lead Bro F10 Crew. I live in USJ, any recommendation on reliable workshop around the area? Been sending to SCs all these while.. now to explore other workshop. Tq

8. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

There are a few reputable mechanics in USJ n Sunway. Some ppl decide based on convenience. I used to frequent MSpeed in USJ1. Owner AhMeng knows his stuff. He's more into preventive maintenance so he'll ask u to change before it breaks down. U still hv the final call. Sunway area u hv Autobahn. Reliable too. Further up u hv Bluegreen.

9. gimli

gimli Club Guest

i just replaced my rear brake actuator with Ah Meng few weeks back. I bought used from overseas. I was thinking about getting it from China, but there were a lot of negative reviews, so I decided to get used instead.

10. Nor Shaharom Mansor

Thanks Bro Gendong. You're very resourceful..Tq

11. Nor Shaharom Mansor

Thanks Bro

12. ray27

ray27 Member

Where do you send you car to now bro ? Since you mentioned used to go to MSpeed.

13. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Currently send mine to Blugreen bro.

14. beemerback

beemerback Official Member

Gendong, have you replaced the actuators on your brakes yet?

15. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Not yet bro. Actuators are still holding up well till now. Also, i rarely use the autohold function, or even use the e-brake when parked (especially on an even surface). Only 'P' when parking.

Talk about being kiasu..... hahahahaha.......

16. beemerback

beemerback Official Member

to tell you the truth, me too....haahahahaha damn scared to even engage parking. afraid I might be stranded. that being said, do you know there's any effect if we continued to depend on P when parking?

17. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

I dont really hv an answer to that question. my logic is, that the P can be manually override, to at least move it to neutral, compared to using the brake actuators. When would it go? i dont know.

18. lkf8888

lkf8888 New Member

Any recommended workshop to replace F10 brake pad... I plan to get the brake pad from usj Bavaria sparepart shop