Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning e39 523i to 525i - it is possible?

Dear Sifu

Can anybody share of performing tuning upgrade of e39 523i to 525i spec? It is possible?

Originally posted by WGT523 View Post
    Dear Sifu

Can anybody share of performing tuning upgrade of e39 523i to 525i spec? It is possible?
    bro,
    If I understand you correctly, do you mean to increase the 523i bhp & torque to match a 525i? If yes, it's possible via ECU remapping which a few club members have done. It will increase your bhp & torque by about 10-15%. But remember the 523i is running on M52 engine while the 525i is using M54 engine which will give you better throttle response due to the "fly-by-wire" system. On paper, the 525i will produce 192bhp with 245Nm torque while the 523i churns out about 170bhp and 230Nm torque (if I remember correctly)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerman View Post
      bro,
      If I understand you correctly, do you mean to increase the 523i bhp & torque to match a 525i? If yes, it's possible via ECU remapping which a few club members have done. It will increase your bhp & torque by about 10-15%. But remember the 523i is running on M52 engine while the 525i is using M54 engine which will give you better throttle response due to the "fly-by-wire" system. On paper, the 525i will produce 192bhp with 245Nm torque while the 523i churns out about 170bhp and 230Nm torque (if I remember correctly)
      Hi Jerman, sorry for the late reply. Was outstation.
      Thank for your reply. Would like to know if this tuning throught ECU remapping is reliable and is 523i gear box or other part able to cop with such upgrade of software. BTW, which mechanic provide such service and $$ costing?
      Cheers and Gong Xi fa Cai.

Comment

no point in upgrading yr engine from 523 to 525 for that amount of money.

523 to 528 or 530 then u are talkin.

otherwise if your 523 is the single vanos, go for the M50 manifold swap and do a remap.
        m50 manifold should be around rm200 to rm400 at chopshops.
        remap at rm1k plus.
        no issues with gearbox.
        sigpic
        CURRENT - Active Autowerke Tuned / Vortech Supercharger / S52 Cams / Snow Water Injection / Intercooled / 42lbs Injectors / Porsche 803 MAF / Stratmosphere Hyperboost BPV / Audi Bosch BPV / M50 Manifold / Electric Fan / Eibach ARB / Alcon 4 Pot Calipers with 345mm Disc / H&R Cup Kit / Racing Dynamics RRS 3 piece / Hartge Front and Rear Kit / 5 Speed e36 M3 Manual GB

FUTURE - Turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by feisaldzul View Post
          no point in upgrading yr engine from 523 to 525 for that amount of money.

523 to 528 or 530 then u are talkin.

otherwise if your 523 is the single vanos, go for the M50 manifold swap and do a remap.
          m50 manifold should be around rm200 to rm400 at chopshops.
          remap at rm1k plus.
          no issues with gearbox.
          You'll need to fabricate some piping and stuff for the manifold swap as well which could set you back a couple of hundred depending on the machinist.

Good luck
          Are you staying in the vicinity or areas surrounding Ampang? Click here to join us for our Ampang TT!

** Learn to use www.google.com, it's your best friend **
          ** Learn how to use the forum search function, it's your 2nd best friend **

Comment

Originally posted by loafer View Post
            You'll need to fabricate some piping and stuff for the manifold swap as well which could set you back a couple of hundred depending on the machinist.

Good luck
            Or you can buy a complete M50 manifold swap set incl. hoses and pipes and what not directly form the States. I've came across some website that offers this service.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerholic View Post
              Or you can buy a complete M50 manifold swap set incl. hoses and pipes and what not directly form the States. I've came across some website that offers this service.
              Guys..Will this M50 complete swap generate any significant boost?
              sigpic If everything seems under control youre not going fast enough"-Mario Andretti

Comment

The M50 manifold will give u a better pick up but lower your top speed.
                FS: DVD/GPS headunit for BMW E46 E38 E39 E53 X5 E90 E92

Comment

Originally posted by bmw7833 View Post

Sorry to ask this, how low the top speed will be? cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerholic View Post
                    Yeah but they're quite pricey. Saw one ages ago going for between USD300-400. That's not including shipping. Forgot the website but the design and finishing on it looks amazing.

I did mine for a total of around RM700 and that includes the manifold, installation and pipe fabrication etc.
                    Are you staying in the vicinity or areas surrounding Ampang? Click here to join us for our Ampang TT!

Comment

loafer,apart from rm700 for the hardware,how much were you charged for the remap?
                      and where did u have this done?from the writeup in many forums,this simple mod liberates about 30bhp to bring it up to around 220bhp.i am keen.
                      '84 e28 520i '96-'99
                      '90 e34 525i '99-'09
                      '86 e30 320i '02-'08
                      '97 e39 528i '09- to date

Comment

Tuning alone is not enuf, need to change the intake manifold too...
                        Read somewhere that the 523i (M52B25) manifold has smaller runners compares to the E39 525i (M54B25) runners, improving low and mid range torque but restricts high rpm power..
                        M50tuB25 manifold has the biggest runners (compared to M52B25 and M52B28) which gives good high rpm power - can feed more air at high rev... But not so efficient at low rev bcos a big runner doesn't give low volume air the momentum it needed to 'charge' into the combustion chamber... Imagine 2 water hoses of different sizes, the smaller hose can spray water further compared to the bigger hose..
                        Last edited by fabianyee; 15-02-2010, 12:30 PM.
                        I don't drive fast cars, I just drive cars fast.

1990 E30 318i(s)
                        M42B18

Comment

Based on what technical argument that u come to this conclusion?
                          I don't drive fast cars, I just drive cars fast.

1990 E30 318i(s)
                          M42B18

Comment

Originally posted by moots View Post
                            loafer,apart from rm700 for the hardware,how much were you charged for the remap?
                            and where did u have this done?from the writeup in many forums,this simple mod liberates about 30bhp to bring it up to around 220bhp.i am keen.
                            I didn't do a remap actually. Just a simple battery pull to reset the ECU. In fact I've never done any remapping for my car with the mods I've done on the engine. Figured it would be better to just do all the mods and then get a standalone management in the future.

If you're interested in remapping services you can call Lionel Koh. His number is 012-220 7630. He's got a contact who does remapping and is pretty reliable. Good review too. Not too sure if the M50 manifold swap would really unleash 30bhp but if it's tested and proven by others I don't see why you shouldn't do it.

Agree with fab on what he said!

From the minimal research (i'm lazy :P) I've done on the M50 manifold swap, it's supposed to allow the engine more breathing capabilities at higher RPMs thus giving it more pulling power.

Personally for me I felt a little loss of power in the lower RPM ranges and my engine is more alive from the mid to higher ranges. You might be able to get more out of it with a proper remap, which I did not do however.
                            Last edited by loafer; 15-02-2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Here's a comparison of the M52B28 intake manifolds with the M50B25 ones.

http://328compact.co.uk/m50-intake-and-bbtb

Most people who did this mod did the BBTB mod as well. Seems to work better together.

Comment

Working...
                              X