Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 328i vs 320d F30. Dilemma...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this BMWCM. but i been reading and watching this forums more than 6 months.

Need opinions and advice from all the pro's in the forum...(i already intro my self at newbies )

I just book my F30 at BMW Tun Razak( first car of my dream car). but i didnt choose 328i or 320d.

The issues im facing right now, I have no idea to choose 328i or 320d. I never use Diesel car before and no one in my contacts list using diesel, so i have zero knowledge in diesel.

My side 65% to 320D ( cheap, rm270+/- ) and 35% to 328i ( tight budget but can work on it. rm320+/-).

what i heard, people always talking about the loud sound frm the car for 320d, resale value not higher as petrol..

need badly information on maintenance, pick up and biggest difference between diesel and petrol.

please, i will be happy if you can get just spend 5 mins of your time to advice me.

Thank you everyone.

PS: docrayboy, i have to tag you cuz i see you full of information on f30.. seems like u are inside guy of bmw msia.. hahahah

Hee hee I am University of BMW Munich trained with PhD in Advanced Automotive Engineering (I speak and write german fluently too, by the way).....thats why everybody respects me. Of course, sometimes I also make mistakes....thanks to t2ribena who pointed out to me auto cars no need to change clutch pads...anyways....all I can say is go test drive both cars. BMW diesel engines in Malaysia since last few years, no obvious problem. Paul Tan swears by diesel! Don't even dare cross him over this issue-very sensitive! He gets distressed for days whenever people put diesel cars down. Poor chap.
    Coming for the F30 launch dinners?-come on Friday-sit with the diesel boys-maniac, myself etc are coming!

Comment

We can discuss this over our official TT this 9mar'12..come laa

Comment

Docrayboy, i got lost whether you really study in bmw munich or you just being sarcasm :P hahhahahahhaha...

lol!!! what the heck paul tan soo sensitive about the diesel. hahahhahahah

hurmm... f30 launch dinner will be on 23 march where eh ???? doc and rahim.. so far, i think i will come so, how for me to know u guys all ?? cuz this will first time for me to see you guys.. hurmmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by xosix View Post
          Docrayboy, i got lost whether you really study in bmw munich or you just being sarcasm :P hahhahahahhaha...

lol!!! what the heck paul tan soo sensitive about the diesel. hahahhahahah

hurmm... f30 launch dinner will be on 23 march where eh ???? doc and rahim.. so far, i think i will come so, how for me to know u guys all ?? cuz this will first time for me to see you guys.. hurmmm.....
          Call my mobile....016 654 7406. You must first get invites-ask your SA to help.

Comment

xosix, I see you have nice dilemma there ... hehehe ... In my opinion, both are great cars, they have their own strength ... I guess it is down to your needs/requirement .... For excellent fuel consumption, go for the diesel ... for greater peak power and oommpphhh at high speed, my guess is 328 will excel. Also, being in Malaysia, specific trim or line will be fixed for the diesel or petrol, e.g. existing 320d only comes with sports package whereas petrol variant has the executive trim, etc etc ...

About the engine sound, no doubt diesel is louder at idling ... but from some oversea review on the new 2 Litre petrol turbo engine, it has the same sound at idling as well .... this requires us to really listen to confirm though ...

For me, I will definitely go for the diesel, 22.5KM per litre man ....

Comment

Diesels rock. BMW diesels rock harder

I don't have a diesel beemer, but if the E90 320d had been available when I wanted an E90, I would have gotten one instead of the 325i Sports. My family is on our 2nd diesel SUV (Land Rovers). I have also driven rental diesel beemers quite a bit (X5 3.0d, X6 3.0d, E60 520d, F10 530d), and all I can say is that they are great, frugal fuel consumption, and the only way to tell that they are diesel and not petrol when driving is that the rev counter doesn't go up as high as petrol, and that the torque will slam you back against your seat when you step on the accelerator. Noise? What noise? You can't tell from the inside. From the outside, it just sounds different, not noisier. Heck, my E90's aircon makes a louder noise than the diesel when under a hot sun and it's blasting full bore to cool the car.

My own F30 intentions however, lie with the 328i and not the 320d, but that has nothing to do with the diesel vs petrol choice, but rather with the performance and acceleration figures. If the performance figures were very close, I would probably pick the diesel over the petrol.
              ----------
              It's on your left. No, your OTHER left!

Comment

Originally posted by docrayboy View Post
                Call my mobile....016 654 7406. You must first get invites-ask your SA to help.
                thanks doc,will call you once i reach there.. yeap, i got the invitation from my SA. see you there buddy

Comment

Originally posted by ceteh View Post
                  xosix, I see you have nice dilemma there ... hehehe ... In my opinion, both are great cars, they have their own strength ... I guess it is down to your needs/requirement .... For excellent fuel consumption, go for the diesel ... for greater peak power and oommpphhh at high speed, my guess is 328 will excel. Also, being in Malaysia, specific trim or line will be fixed for the diesel or petrol, e.g. existing 320d only comes with sports package whereas petrol variant has the executive trim, etc etc ...

About the engine sound, no doubt diesel is louder at idling ... but from some oversea review on the new 2 Litre petrol turbo engine, it has the same sound at idling as well .... this requires us to really listen to confirm though ...

For me, I will definitely go for the diesel, 22.5KM per litre man ....
                  hurmmm..... from info i got from my SA.. for diesel only Modern car will be selling and for petrol all 3 type, luxury, modern and sports..

the issues is, i want excellent fuel consumption and speed :P hahhahaha... i think,the best will be test drive the car, headache with this dilemma..

the fuel consumption are too good! atleast 30% different with petrol...

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler View Post
                    Diesels rock. BMW diesels rock harder

I don't have a diesel beemer, but if the E90 320d had been available when I wanted an E90, I would have gotten one instead of the 325i Sports. My family is on our 2nd diesel SUV (Land Rovers). I have also driven rental diesel beemers quite a bit (X5 3.0d, X6 3.0d, E60 520d, F10 530d), and all I can say is that they are great, frugal fuel consumption, and the only way to tell that they are diesel and not petrol when driving is that the rev counter doesn't go up as high as petrol, and that the torque will slam you back against your seat when you step on the accelerator. Noise? What noise? You can't tell from the inside. From the outside, it just sounds different, not noisier. Heck, my E90's aircon makes a louder noise than the diesel when under a hot sun and it's blasting full bore to cool the car.

My own F30 intentions however, lie with the 328i and not the 320d, but that has nothing to do with the diesel vs petrol choice, but rather with the performance and acceleration figures. If the performance figures were very close, I would probably pick the diesel over the petrol.
                    okay,how about the maintenance... it is will be almost the same or not ??? since you said about the sounds different, i feel more to diesel now.. but still thinking
                    for few more, this is main problems with i dont even have any contacts that using diesel car.. damnnnnnnnnn

Comment

You want good FC...go for the 320d. You have cash to splash and no worries about sakit-hati when refuelling every 3 days, the 328i.

Comment

Originally posted by xosix View Post
                        okay,how about the maintenance... it is will be almost the same or not ??? since you said about the sounds different, i feel more to diesel now.. but still thinking
                        for few more, this is main problems with i dont even have any contacts that using diesel car.. damnnnnnnnnn
                        Docrayboy is the resident diesel sifu

I can't say about the BMW diesel maintenance, but my parents' experience with the 2 Land Rover diesels are basically similar maintenance to petrol but far lower fuel bill due to higher fuel efficiency of the diesel engine. Also currently diesel is 10 sen cheaper than RON95. I drove the LR Freelander to Penang and back (plus some driving around Penang, fully loaded with passengers and cargo) on one tank of diesel (>800km covered).

You want good FC...go for the 320d. You have cash to splash and no worries about sakit-hati when refuelling every 3 days, the 328i.
                        That said, the BMW petrols aren't so thirsty either. My current 325i lasts around 9 days of in city driving before needing a fill up. I would expect the F30 328i to do better. Of coz, I would also expect the F30 320d would do even better than that.
                        ----------
                        It's on your left. No, your OTHER left!

Comment

yeah, planning to take 320d but im gonna go for test drive for both unit... like u said, test drive first it will be better... thanks doc.. so, will be seeing you
                          on friday night right..

Comment

[QUOTE=Traveler;721650]Docrayboy is the resident diesel sifu

I can't say about the BMW diesel maintenance, but my parents' experience with the 2 Land Rover diesels are basically similar maintenance to petrol but far lower fuel bill due to higher fuel efficiency of the diesel engine. Also currently diesel is 10 sen cheaper than RON95. I drove the LR Freelander to Penang and back (plus some driving around Penang, fully loaded with passengers and cargo) on one tank of diesel (>800km covered).

wow... that really good FC.. hurmm.. for future have to think about FC not speed and the 320d speeds not bad... haaa! cant wait for test drive...

Comment

xosix, which SA you will be getting your ride from? maybe can share the experience to us the future future potential buyer ... hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X