Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda City VTEC Vs. Toyota Vios (G)

Hello Bros & Sis,

I'm finding new car for my gf and stuck between this 2 models. Can anyone share your opinions and why?

Both cars price are about the same.

Horsepower are about the same.

sigh ........
    Get up everyday and look through the list of the riches people in Malaysia. If you're not there, GO TO WORK !

Bro,

Get yr GF a bimmer

Comment

never been in vios yet
      but from my bare naked eyes..vios kinda..small.
      sigpic
      Foosball Community Malaysia - The Ultimate Foosball Site

Comment

My pick? Vios. If I had not got the Bimmer, I wud have got a Toyota.

As for the City, ok alsolah but don't quite like the looks... looks as if the car got crushed in from the front and back.... but damn, it feels bigger inside the City....

Ok, ok, City then, no no, the Vios.... ** click **

But seriously, end of the day, better let your gf choose... she's gonna drive the car anyway....
        BE A FAST, SMOOTH AND SAFE DRIVER...

Current (So Sian)
        Citi - City 1.5EZi
        Toyota Vios 1.5G

Sold (Boo Hoo)
        Silver Sloth - E34 520i 24V

Good Riddance (No Longer With Me) -
        !@#$% - PV6 (Maintenance Cost More Than My Beemer)

Comment

I think the City would fare better on fuel consumption especially if it's the i-DSI.
          And the City has CVT and not an auto gearbox.

However, looks wise, the vios looks better from the outside but for interior space, the City wins hands down. even the boot space looks big compared to the bimmer.
          I don't drive fast cars, I just drive cars fast.

1990 E30 318i(s)
          M42B18

Comment

I had to make the same hard choices a while back, wifey wanted to buy either City or Vios as well. In the end got the City coz it was a lot more spacious inside with a huge boot and foldable rear seats. Of course there are other factors as well like CVT, Steermatic, EPS (Electric power steering), free 2 year service, etc but the one other deciding factor for me at that time was the honda dealer gave me better trade in $$ for the existing car.

Exterior wise the Vios wins the looks department here hands down but ultimately the car needs to be practical too so I guess it really depends on what is your buying criteria. If you are after performance then I think the Vios feels slightly faster coz it is a lighter car but the City VTEC can match its pace without any problems. Only thing is with CVT it does sound like the engine is very draggy but in actual fact the acceleration is pretty decent. Suggest you go test drive both cars and bring along 4 adults to cramp into both cars, then you'll see the difference. :-)

Comment

I have test driven both the City 1.5 IDSI and the Vios 1.5G when they were first launched. I can still remember that the City had better NVH qualities than the Vios. Overall, I found the City a more pleasant car to drive than the Vios. I felt that the City has better ride comfort and refinement compared to the Vios. In this regard, there should not be any significant difference with the City VTEC.

Pick-up for both the City 1.5 IDSI and the Vios 1.5G are about the same - I think the figures quoted by Honda and Toyota for the 88bhp City 1.5 IDSI and the 110bhp Vios 1.5 respectively for the 0-100km/h dash are the same ie. 11.5 seconds. Presumably the 110bhp City 1.5 VTEC would be quicker.

The City 1.5 IDSI's torque peaks at only 2700 rpm and that should translate to good low to mid range torque delivery, and thus good in-gear acceleration. If I'm not mistaken both the Vios and City VTEC's torque peak is above 4000rpm.

In terms of space, the City is much better than the Vios - at slightly above 6 ft tall I couldn't fit into the rear seat of the Vios. I could, in the City.

Looks are subjective. I'd say that the Vios looks better than the City in an innocuous and bland sort of way; I think the better way to describe it is that the Vios looks more conventional compared to the City but the City's unusual looks may well make it a classic a few decades from now - see what happened to weird but charming cars like the Citroen DS, CX and 2CV, the original VW Beetle, the Renault 4, the Fiat 500 and 600, etc! But in things which matter more, the City has the edge.
              Last edited by wglee; 27-11-2006, 03:03 PM.

Comment

a guy from TOVA did a few timed 0-60 runs on various Hondas including the Jazz VTEC nad i am assuming the City VTEC would show similar results.btw,he was using G-Tech Pro for measurements..

Jazz VTEC 0-60 timed at 8.8secs..but,there is a technique to follow to get that figure.if u simply put the CVT in 'D' and bury the throttle pedal,u'd probably get 10s flat.FYI the CVT has 5 selectable modes(D,S,L,7speed auto mode and finally the 7speed sequential tiptronic thingy).the technique used shall remain with TOVA members but i just want to point out that 8.8s is possible.

top speed is not a strong point tho as the VTEC maxes out at 180kph in standard form.for such a tall and small bodied car,i think that is sufficient.

had my Jazz VTEC for almost 11000kms now and am loving every minute of it..less visits to Petronas/Shell and its no slouch either!! i'm sure the City VTEC will give similar pleasures to its owners.
                sigpic

e90///335i ​ PROcede ER aFe KW​ FORGESTAR MICHELIN

2007 e90 335i
                2012 e84 X1 Xdrive 20d DTUK'd

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all the opinions .... I just test drive both cars.

As the result, honda seem to be smoother on the road. Maybe the 7 gear give better feeling. If we look at the book, toyota vios have 109hp while honda city vtec 110hp. But to my opinion, vtec is better in horsepower.

At the same time, if i would have choose vtec, petrol cosumption is much higher compare to IDSI. The sad thing is i not yet have a chance to test drive the IDSI model. The two showroom i visited only have vtec to test drive.

As for the toyota vios, the outlook is more 'long lasting'. More 'acceptable'. But I'm not pretty happy with inside. The whole car seem to be higher than honda city. Not to make it exaggerating, it's something like driving lorry. Engine sound also louder.

Therefore .... still thinking.

Maybe borrow her my bimmer first. ( Siao meh !?!?!?! )
                  Get up everyday and look through the list of the riches people in Malaysia. If you're not there, GO TO WORK !

Comment

I love both cars...

The City looks like a bang tree car ah!...but spacious.
                    The Vios I hate the speedometer...why in the hell in the middle???

both good daily car for its class.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggee

The Vios I hate the speedometer...why in the hell in the middle???
                      yeah..exactly.i hate the way the interior looks in the Vios especially the centrally mounted instruments pod.FUGLY..

and the 4-speed auto.. 4-speed??? damn..no one uses them anymore in a brand new car.Toyota has got to better with the Vios..much more.
                      sigpic

2007 e90 335i

Comment

Bro,

Both my brothers drive City IDSI and Vios. If u wan to save petrol go for it but driving feel like sitting in a boat. Yesterday I test drive satria neo stereng feel not bad oso. emmm.... didn't drive long and fast due to short distance. Dun let yr GF borrow yr bimmer she might want one for herself too

Comment

The mid range torque and power if better for the Vios than the City/Jazz Vtec. BUt overall, high end power mated with the CVT gearbox will see the Jazz/City Vtec comfortably out run a Vios from the stop lights (0-60 8.3 - 8.8 secs). Check out asia.vtec.net for the techniques.

I've done a few stop light sprints with the Wifey's Jazz... Very fun to see the faces of people when I out run them, as the car doesn't look very quick to begin with hehe
                          ----------
                          2012 Facelift A5 Coupe 2.0T Quattro - Misano Red | S-Line | Pana Roof | Black Optics | 19' Titanium Rotors | MMI 3G Navi | B&O | Adaptive Dampers | Drive Select

Comment

Originally posted by E46Fanatic
                            The mid range torque and power if better for the Vios than the City/Jazz Vtec. BUt overall, high end power mated with the CVT gearbox will see the Jazz/City Vtec comfortably out run a Vios from the stop lights (0-60 8.3 - 8.8 secs). Check out asia.vtec.net for the techniques.

I've done a few stop light sprints with the Wifey's Jazz... Very fun to see the faces of people when I out run them, as the car doesn't look very quick to begin with hehe
                            ha!! u saw the article too huh?? good trick to have don't you think.. u won't believe the cars that i've blown away in my puny Jazz..hehehe.
                            sigpic

2007 e90 335i

Comment

Originally posted by supergripen
                              yeah..exactly.i hate the way the interior looks in the Vios especially the centrally mounted instruments pod.FUGLY..

and the 4-speed auto.. 4-speed??? damn..no one uses them anymore in a brand new car.Toyota has got to better with the Vios..much more.
                              but the Singaporean Corolla 1.5 is much nicer then our version here.( Vios)

But still the Vios and the City are good cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X